Sunday, November 25, 2012

I promise this was a real conversation

New Person: Hey! What’s up? Where are you from? [similar small talk] What have you done so in Barcelona?

Me: Well, I saw some Gaudi stuff today. I just got in last night.

NP: Oh, from the states, or where?

M: No, from West Africa – Burkina Faso.

NP: What?! No way! That is SO awesome! How was it? What did you do there? How long did you stay?

M: I worked there for two years.

NP: No shit! Oh my god! That is so cool. You’re so amazing! I’d love to do that, ya know? I just want to experience other cultures and help other people. Like, I just feel like that’s what I’m meant to do, ya know? Man, I want to help other people and you were actually doing it. [continues in similar fashion for about 5 minutes while I mumble awkward responses to the overenthusiasm]

Another New Person: Dude, have some more rum! What are you doin, man?

NP: Dude, she was just living in AFRICA! Like, helping people and shit. She’s so legit.

ANP: That’s awesome. Seriously, bro, take the rum.

NP: Okay, hang on, I TOTALLY want to hear EVERYTHING about your life in…um, sorry what is it called again? I, like, can’t even pronounce it.

M: Burkina Faso.

NP: Right. There. I totally want to know all about it, I’m still here, I’m going to give you all my attention while you tell me everything about your experience but I’m just going to…[goes off to increase blood alcohol content forgetting all about places he can’t pronounce]

Clearly, this is an extreme example but Peace Corps was not making up the ridiculous things people will say to us, or how quickly we will lose their attention. A less extreme version of this conversation [read: the guy was not drunk] happened earlier in the day with someone else...Welcome to the western world!

No comments:

Post a Comment